Pages

Sunday, March 15, 2009

March is National Craft Month

According to Joann.com!

So, I've decided to start getting one of projects scratch of the list. I'm going to make Alex's blanket; he's already seen the material for it and when he had to go to bed without it he started crying, until I explained what I was going to do.

I'm going to to make him a quilt, which is something that I've wanted to do for him ever since he was born.

So far I've got all the material picked out and bought, which I did a year ago. Friday, I then went online to start looking for pattern ideas, since I've never made a quilt before (How hard can it be....This shall be FUN!). I found a good site called Free Patterns.com. They have crafts, beading, knitting, crocheting, sewing, quilting, etc.

Now I have my pattern picked out, but it's was getting to be a late Friday night, so I told myself that I'll start in the morning on it. Good thing too...I found some other site (don't remember their web addresses), and one said to wash the fabric before starting. I never thought about that, it's a good thing though, so I washed must of my fabric that night, which got out a lot of extra dye. That would have been awful to get the whole quilt made and then wash it, only to discover that the different materials had bleed and ruined the beauty of it.

Then yesterday I measured out my fabric according the pattern I pick out, only to discover that I don't have enough of the one color, which just so happens to be a remnant that I picked out. So, while the kids were sleeping I went to Joann's to pick out more material. (Andy stayed home with the boys....(What!?! Do you think I'd actually go out while the kids slept and leave them at home all by themselves?) Since I didn't bother taking what I already had with me to match, I just found something else in the similar color to go with. After getting home I check the color with the rest of the materials and we have a winner! Shwoooo!

This morning I got up, fed the kids and popped in a movie, and then i got started on the quilt again. After I got the last color cut to size, which is the same one that I went to the store, I started to pin the pieces together for the first set of sewing, only to realize that I didn't have enough material. So, later on today, I have to go back to Joann's and get more material...this time I'll measure to make sure that I get enough. The really sad part is, I only need 2 more squares!

Now comes the hard part...sew all the pieces together. You're probably thinking what so hard about sewing...well it's the fact that I DO NOT have a sewing maching, which is a pretty important piece of making a quilt. I've though about maybe sewing it all be hand, but that will take me forever....I don't want to spend the two years working on this quilt. So after the boys get up from their nap we're going to go to Joann's to look at sewing machines, heck, we're going to be there anyways, since I need to get more material.

So Ta Ta For Now...I'll keep you "posted" on my progress as I get closer to the finished project.

Oh, and don't forget to have fun with your CRAFT this month!

No comments: