Pages

Monday, April 6, 2009

Easter Basket for Jon

I really don't like buying the cheap Easter baskets that the mass retailers put out for the general public to buy. I aslo don't like buying anything that promotes a licensed character, such as, Elmo, Dora, Spiderman, etc...

My GREEN solution! Reuse the basket that I received flowers in when I was in the hospital for delivering a baby. Andy's work (Wal-Mart) sent us flowers congratulating us on our new baby boy, both times.

Materials:
Basket (that you already have on hand)
Over Stuffed Animal or one big enough to fit around the basket. (I prefer one without a year embroidered on it)
Ribbon to match (optional)
A plastic pot liner or Hanging Basket Drip Pan
Dowl Rod (3/16 " diameter)
Fabric glue
Sewing Needle
Thread that matches the stuffed animal
Thread Ripper
Sturdy Scissors (for cutting dowl rod)
Ruler
Large Paper bag or grocery sack (I prefer the plastic grocery sack)
Fabric Marking pencil (perferably one that closely matches the same color of the animal, remember you can't wash the basket)

Instructions:

Take the thread ripper and stuff animal and cut the threads that are holding it's head to the main body. Once you have the head completely removed set it aside for later.




Take the main body of the stuffed animal and un-stuff it. Put the stuffing in the grocery sack. Like I said early, I prefer the plastic sack because I can use it to store the leaf-over stuffing for another project later on, without having to worry about it getting wet or ruined.

Depending on your selection, check the hole of the opening of the stuffed animal with your basket. In both of my cases, the opening was a LOT smaller then the base of the basket, so I had to take the thread ripper and cut the threads down the back of the main body some that I could get it around the basket. Be careful not the cut to for down, you don't want to sew anything extra that you do not have to do. Again, in both of cases, the height of the main body was long enough cut it about halfway down before I could slip it over the basket. FYI: It was a tight fit, which is what I wanted; it helps keep it on better. I also put a little stuffing back in to just line the bottom and side walls.

Now that you have the body on your basket, look it over to see what it looks like. You may have to make some slight fixes. With Alex's I used a duck and it's feet were directly sewn to the bottom of the body, which made it sit crooked once it was on the basket, also the wings didn't line up nicely. So I had some extra work to do. I had to take the thread ripper the feet and wings, and once they were off I had to sew up the openings. I put the body back on the basket and then decided where I wanted the feet and the wings to go back on and market the spots. I then just sewed the feet and wings on; I didn't need to cut an opening for them because the material of the stuffed animal covered it up. (If you were to really look closely you be able to tell, but nobody is going to be putting their nose up that close to your mistakes, you'll be too impressed at the result!)

Once you are done making your adjustments take the fabric glue and glue down the extra material from the sides of the animal to the insides of the basket. You may need to do this in sections, as I has do to, to ensure the sercruity of it. Set aside for the glue the dry; please ready the directions of the fabric glue that you choose, you may need to let it set over night to dry completely.




While your basket is drying, it's time to finish the head piece. With matching thread and a sewing needle sew up the bottom of the head. You may want to remove some of the stuffing from the head so that it isn't so plump looking. You may want to use your sewing machine to do this and that's fine if you want to and can do it. I tried and it just jammed up and made a bigger mess for me to deal with. Hand sewing was a lot easier and I was able to control it better.

After your basket is dried, take the plastic liner and set it inside of the basket. Measure if needed and then cut the liner to size. The plastic liner that I used I bought at Wal-Mart for Alex's, but for Jon's I bought at Meijers. Please look closely at the picture and print off if needed so that you can find it at the store or a similar product. Once it's cut to size place it firmly back into the basket. The liner did not quite go all the way into the basket, there is about 1/2" gap between the bottom of the basket and the bottom of the liner. (This didn't matter that much to me, because it Easter grass covers it up.) If this bother you, than you can fix it by cutting the liner down the side and halfway across the bottom and then just over lap it until it fits. DO NOT add the Easter grass yet, we'll get to that at the end.




Take the dowl rod and place it at the back of the basket in between that liner. Measure it to the tip of the edge of the basket. Then insert the rod up the middle of the head and measure. Add your measurements together and measure it out of the dowl rod and then cut just a little bite smaller than what you measured. Place the rod back into the basket in between the liner and then add the head. I did not fimly secure the head down, but you can with the fabric glue.



If you choose to add ribbon now is you chance to do so. For Alex's I wrapped the ribbon around the handle , which prevents the basket handle from causing splinters, (if you used a wooden weaved or wicker basket).

Alex's Easter Basket.

The duck body wasn't quite large enough to go up and over the edges like John's so I embellished the edges with felt, but you probably would not have known that if I just hadn't told you.

After you embellish the basket to you liking, now just add the Easter grass of your choiceand set out for the Easter Bunny to fill up.

Jon's Easter Basket.

I still need to get ribbon for the handle, because the stuff wrapped around it is breaking and felling off.

I hope your child/chilren enjoy their Easter Basket/s as much as my children do.

MADE WITH LOVE BY MOMMY!

No comments: