Pages

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Full Bloom Diamond Quilt w/ Ruffle Edging



I am really happy with the way this quilt out.....considering this was a first time with the ruffles. It's taken me quite a while to figure out how to do the ruffle edging.....make the ruffles was the simple part, thanks to my ruffler foot....it was figuring out how to sandwich the quilt and making it look nice....not an easy task in my book, but I think with a little more practice it will get better.




Attach the ruffle to the quilt top, matching the raw edges...I used a 1/4" seam (I probably should of used a 1/8")




I set the top aside and spray basted the back to the batting, which is a polyester batting, not my favorite, but I thought I'd try it anyways.




With the quilt top on the floor, right side up, I pinned the bottom, with right sides facing each other, so that the batting is on the outside (for now).



After the back side of the quilt is pinned, I took to the sewing machine and stitch a 1/4" seam all around the quilt edge leaving about 5" - 6" open for turning the quilt right side out. I then ironed the edges smooth and top-stitched 1/8" around the edge of the quilt.




Final results:

Front




Back




It still needs to be quilt, but I'm going to tie it off instead, which requires a trip the local fabric store, which will be this weekend.

No comments: