Pages

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Invasion of the Great Ants!

One thing I cannot stand is ants in my house. At first it is just one, then five, and before you know it you have the whole colony taking an extended vacation in your WHOLE kitchen.

At first I thought I was leaving sweet stuff out or not cleaning the counters very well, but I've used Lysol w/Bleach 4-in-1 to clean my WHOLE kitchen and those boogers still came back. The more I thought about it, I realized that when I first noticed the ants was the next morning after we had cooked bacon to go with our dinner about a week ago.

As I was telling my mom this, she told me that I had grease ants (thief ants), which would make complete sense. Last night I left Alex's huge half-eaten lollipop in a bowl on the stove and there were no ants in it at all and still aren't!

So know that I know what I'm up against I searched the net on how to get rid of them. Some really wacked out sites and some that are okay... I seen that several of them said to spray vinegar on the surface where the ants are, that is after you clean the surface thoroughly to get rid of any food trace.

Again, I cleaned my WHOLE kitchen with my Lysol cleaner and dumped (I know they told me to spray, but I want to get rid of the ants) vinegar all over my counter tops, cabinets, and floor. Hopefully this works, because we had a similar problem last year and I don't want it to happen again.

(It started out with one ant, then five, then about seven to ten for about a week. When I left the house at 7:30 am to take the boys to the babysitters I had cleaned up about seven ants. When Andy went into the kitchen about two hours later there was a 4 inch wide band of ants stretching from my counter tops in the kitchen, down the cabinet wall to the floor all the way from the kitchen to the dining room to the living room back behind the couch. Andy called me right away and I thought he was exaggerating just a tad bit, but when I got home I could not believe what I saw. I was trying to figure out what this black strip was running from my kitchen to my living room. I thought that the bug spray had turned my carpet a different color from a chemical reaction, but when I looked closer it was hundred and thousands, must likely millions of little, tiny, ity-bity, teeny-weeny, black ants. Which know that I think about it they were probably grease ants too! I wish I would have taken a picture, just so you could see that I'm NOT exaggerating.)

SO, if the vinegar doesn't work, does any one have any suggests for me?

No comments: