Pages

Monday, December 7, 2009

I Believe in Santa Claus

When I was about 4 or 5 years old, I remember seeing Santa Claus and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer flying the in the sky on Christmas Eve.....I know because it was soooo dark out that all I could see was Rudolph's bright red nose.

Now earlier that day, we were at Grandma Scott's for the family Christmas gathering (my mom's side, with 3 bothers and 2 sisters.....Uncle Terry, Aunt Trelby(sp?), Uncle Kim, Aunt Karen, my mom Gail, and Uncle Alan). There was a gift exchanged and I remember I received a Popple, a purple one.

Later on, someone, but I don't remember who, read the book "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" by Golden Books that was based off of the movie, to all the little kids that would sit still and pay attention.

I remember that we got home late and was getting ready for bed and I just happen to walk over to the big bay window upstairs and looked outside..... And there in the far the distance night sky was a bright red light.....Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer! I shouted to my mom to come and look and she told me that I better hurry up and go to bed or he might skip our house. I don't remember a time when I ran to bed any faster than I did that night.

Yes, I did make it to bed in time that night, because in the morning there were a ton of Christmas presents under the Christmas tree.


Now I have remembered this memory a couple of years ago and I like to think about every year around the Christmas Season. I think I have to give credit to my mom for not ruining my sighting of Santa Claus that year. I don't remember how old I was when I discovered the truth, but I wasn't completely shocked. And I didn't put two and two together until recently, of what my childhood memory really was.

What I really saw was the red light on top of the water tower that is located on the other side of town. But from that far away and through all the trees what a 4 or 5 year old little me saw was Santa Claus and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer making their way throw the little town of Hicksville, OH.

No comments: